Writing Mania

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Black Book V

Black Book V


'Has this tree always been here?'

'I don't know. You tell me, dear Kep.'

'Well it couldn't have just grown overlight and I was here last week so that would mean it has always been here. It's just so...so alive, radiant really.' I walked up to it, near shaking with excitement because the energy was charged and it felt like the breeze was carrying me forward, whispering in silence in my ear, sweet silence, and I stood reverently before this tree, Sidhi slightly behind me, and it was only then that I thought Sidhi must have left me to this tree. 'Why haven't I noticed it before?'

Sidhi patted the tree and again, there was that grin, ' I'd say you just woke up a little while ago. It's lovely standing next to it, isn't it?'

My jaw felt numb and I just nodded.

'So what do you have in common with everything else?'

'Everyone wants to be happy.' I closed my eyes for a moment.

'So why are so many people unhappy?'

I wanted to laugh but ended up choking. 'Why don't we bring the world here? I'm sure it would help everyone to be close to this tree, make them happy for a while at least.'

'What happens when they walk away?'

'Back to their old miserable lives, I guess. I suppose that idea won't work right?'

Sidhi motioned for me to sit. I was grateful for the dead leaves around the tree. The air was so special and all these years later, I miss that place immensely. It's been so long and it happened years ago and still the memories are as fresh as ever. I cleared my throat. 'I suppose that begs the question: if people do want to be happy, if that is the ultimate aim of every person, why are so many people unhappy?'

'You've hit bull's eye with that question. Any answers?'

I shrugged. I wasn't entirely sure how I felt about this discussion. A strange conversation with a complete stranger and strangest of all is I felt that this was the most ordinary thing in the world when I had never done anything like it previously. I thought about my life and the lives of the people around me and why not many people seemed happy. Over the years this is a question which has struck out in my mind. It's difficult to ignore and it's a point which has gathered momentum with time. I was lost in my own thoughts, trying to grapple with my own question. Sidhi drummed her fingers on the tree. 'Could it be that people are chasing an illusion? Or maybe they just don't know how to achieve that happiness?'

...

The next update shall be soon. People, out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on this current conversation between Sidhi and Kep? I'd definitely be very interested to hear what you all think!

Yoomi

23 Comments:

  • Hehehe, I have posted first and that's for goofy and poofy!

    It occurs to me that my updates with the black books are getting shorter... Or maybe I'm wrong.

    Yoomi

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:33 AM  

  • Lol YOomi:P

    Hmmm the current conversation is interesting but I wonder about the age of the narrator...

    I almost feel like a definition is needed...

    By Blogger Vidya, at 2:38 PM  

  • Really? I was certain that I said somewhere he's a teen...perhaps sixteen or something like that but the problem is...sometimes I write scenes in my mind and sometimes these scenes are never physically written and so there ends up being a lot of 'background' material which never finds it's way into the book. I was just about certain I mention/ed it at some stage but perhaps I should do some digging and check...

    Why do you feel it's important? Let me know your thoughts and I'll add it in somewhere if I haven't done so already...

    Yoomi

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:12 AM  

  • Hey Yoomi: I just think it is important because at first I was under the impression that our main character was a really young kid - about 8 or 9. Then some of the things he said made him sound older... Other times I felt that he was a kid of 8 or 9, I would like to see a more "kiddish" outlook on life...

    By Blogger Vidya, at 6:31 PM  

  • I am sure I put it in later on and I'm currently unsure of the exact age but I think he's around fifteen and certainly not younger than that...

    Yoomi

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:57 PM  

  • I think he would be about 16. I also imagine Sidhi to have orange hair (I don't know why!!)

    By Blogger Anika From Darwin, at 9:36 PM  

  • Lol...Red haired Sidhi...Interesting indeed! :P

    I'm not quite sure what to make of that.

    Yoomi

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:44 PM  

  • Not bright or anything, but I imagine her with orangey hair and freckles........

    By Blogger Anika From Darwin, at 6:27 PM  

  • Hmmm, it gets more and more interesting!

    How are you today dear Anika?

    Yoomi

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:37 AM  

  • It wasgreat seeing you today Yoomi! (And was lovley seeing you too Goofey!:P)

    By Blogger Vidya, at 8:31 PM  

  • Lol...I bet it was!

    Yoomi

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:06 PM  

  • That is not funny yumna you know that I'm the champ!!! And as for Vidya that was a fluke...LOL.
    Eman.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:29 PM  

  • Eman... I shall always be at the top... but you shouldn't worry - there is nothing wrong in being beaten by the BEST!!! :P

    By Blogger Vidya, at 1:27 AM  

  • First...before Eman adds her reply. I'm a bit concerned with the way this is going. Just how do you think your comments (ahem Vidya) are impacting on my sister's self-esteem :P

    Yoomi

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:20 PM  

  • Hey Vidya you're talking about Yumna when you say "the best" right???
    toto,
    Eman.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:22 PM  

  • Yoomi: I don't think Eman cares... she knows I am all talk :P

    By Blogger Vidya, at 11:50 PM  

  • Lol...Indeed. It's seriously time to update but I don't want to do that tonight. Maybe tomorrow!

    Yoomi

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:55 AM  

  • hmmm....i though sidhi was like 14...:S

    - Agent Smith

    ps. Hi goofy!!!! how are ya?!?!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:19 AM  

  • I'll pass that message onto goofy for you poofy. Almost time to update!

    Yoomi

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:28 PM  

  • I see Sidhi as a bird lady in looks - unkempt hair, dirty clothes, above the superficiality of appearances.

    I'm also pretty sure you've said the narrator's age in the 2nd or 3rd post...

    Next part please!!!


    Mellie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:28 PM  

  • Where did you find it? Interesting read » » »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:19 PM  

  • I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! » » »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:30 AM  

  • By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home