Fear and Loathing and the Defensive One
I borrowed 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas' by Hunter Thompson yesterday and I read it today and I thought it was one great book but the main guy was either suffering from a psychotic drg episode most of the time or arguing with his attorney but it is a great book. It's almost spooky in some ways because Hunter Thompson really knows how to set a scene. It's honestly a pity that he died just over a month ago!!!
I have been good with my writing and I'm writing merrily away. Last Thursday I decided that I needed to go through the masterpiece properly and make sure it was the literary masterpiece that I want it to be. I cringed at the number of either grammatical or spelling errors or the overuse of particular expressions but I'm not despairing. I just have to spend some time with it and it should be fine. I also started reading some bits of PM (current book) and I laughed in spite of myself. I think that sometimes, when you're truly horrified, you just laugh because it eases up your tension. That's how I felt reading over it. I seem to turning more to satire but well, with sarcasm like mine, why not right?
The other day, in the spirit of supporting local authors, I decided I wanted to read something by Tobsha Learner, the same lady who wrote the Witch of Cologne. I went into the library (being semi-broke and all) and reserved all her books (about three) and then the next time I went in there, a librarian wanted to check up on my reservations so she decided to go through and read out all of the titles I had reserved. One was called 'Quiver' and the subheading was 'Erotic Tales' or something along those lines and the librarian looked at me suspiciously and peered over her glasses and asked me if I had reserved a book called 'Erotic Tales.' I just stared at her and poliely pointed out that the book is actually called 'Quiver.' I couldn't help but feel a tad defensive about that...
So tomorrow is the beginning of a new week. It's a pity the weekend's just about over. I hope everyone has a fine week and may the light be shining where you all are!
Yoomi
I have been good with my writing and I'm writing merrily away. Last Thursday I decided that I needed to go through the masterpiece properly and make sure it was the literary masterpiece that I want it to be. I cringed at the number of either grammatical or spelling errors or the overuse of particular expressions but I'm not despairing. I just have to spend some time with it and it should be fine. I also started reading some bits of PM (current book) and I laughed in spite of myself. I think that sometimes, when you're truly horrified, you just laugh because it eases up your tension. That's how I felt reading over it. I seem to turning more to satire but well, with sarcasm like mine, why not right?
The other day, in the spirit of supporting local authors, I decided I wanted to read something by Tobsha Learner, the same lady who wrote the Witch of Cologne. I went into the library (being semi-broke and all) and reserved all her books (about three) and then the next time I went in there, a librarian wanted to check up on my reservations so she decided to go through and read out all of the titles I had reserved. One was called 'Quiver' and the subheading was 'Erotic Tales' or something along those lines and the librarian looked at me suspiciously and peered over her glasses and asked me if I had reserved a book called 'Erotic Tales.' I just stared at her and poliely pointed out that the book is actually called 'Quiver.' I couldn't help but feel a tad defensive about that...
So tomorrow is the beginning of a new week. It's a pity the weekend's just about over. I hope everyone has a fine week and may the light be shining where you all are!
Yoomi

5 Comments:
Hehe, *laughs about the library episode*, what an unfortunate thing to happen. I probably would have walked out and run home. I'm glad you are enjoying your writing and reading. Satire is most DEFINITELY your 'thing'!!!! Have a good day Yoomi!!!
By
Anika From Darwin, at 3:47 PM
Thank you for that Anika. Some embarrassing situations in retrospect can be quite funny! :D Have a lovely day!
Yoomi
By
Anonymous, at 5:10 PM
You should have said, "I have three things to tell you... 1) you have a dirty mind, 2) Learn to support local authors and 3) MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS"...having said that, I would probably have done what anika would have done - ran home in embarassment and avoid the librarian - like I avoid Noel! :P
By
Vidya, at 3:33 AM
lol...I love the suggestions. They make me laugh!
Yoomi
By
Anonymous, at 3:53 AM
I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! » » »
By
Anonymous, at 4:35 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home