Writing Mania

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

A Much Needed Update

It is honestly time that I updated. When I started this blog, I thought that I would be writing too much on it but I'm glad that I've been keeping away from it. It was a rather plain weekend but that's fine with me. It's better to have a simple weekend rather than a complicated one. For the life of me, I can't remember how I spent it. I know I didn't read much but I wanted to and that I wanted to write and I didn't write much. The whole not writing enough is because I've felt rather sick lately. I feel dizzy and I've got a permanent headache and I wanted to see a doctor today but I didn't get around to it.

In terms of reading, I'm currently reading 'Desperately Seeking Paradise: Journeys of a Sceptical Muslim' by Ziauddin Sardar. It's a great book and it's amusing and I can honestly relate to it because most books written by Muslims tend to just say this is right and this is wrong and make themselves out to be complete saints and they make me want to yawn but this book is good. At last someone who doubts religion and what people just accept and admits it. A kindred spirit at last!

As for writing, I've been taking it easy. I'm thinking that I'll have to turn to my imagination for this because imagery is important. There is one other thing I wanted to mention and I seem to be forgetting it... Ah yes, anti-romance.

Pretty much all the people I know do not read romance books. I know I don't. But I've been lately wondering why. I mean there are romance books besides your standard Mills and Boon ones but it's like most people look down on the genre but each bookstore has a healthy romance section so it must actually sell or else the shelves wouldn't be stacked so carefully with the romance books. Anyone have any ideas on the topic???

I'll leave it there for now. Take care peoples and I hope the sun is radiant wherever you are!!

Yoomi

14 Comments:

  • "Romance" books I feel are to an extent "Porn" - as one of my friends calls it. Its like reading porn wihtout feeling bad about it because you call it "Romance".

    The other thing to take into consideration is what you call "Romance". I think the Brotes, Austen, Bates, Dickens and even Christie all wrote Romance to an extent. So I guess it depends on what you call "Romance". Most books I read seem to have an element of it. So most books have "romance" as an element rather than the major theme. So people probably read them for that.

    Those books that prize themselves on being purely romance, I think are a sort of excapism really. Like DAnielle Steel - all her cahracters are either "Perfect" or "Pure evil"... there is no in between. Its a simplified look at life.

    In summary romance books sell because 1) They are a socially acceptable form of porn and erotica. 2) Romance is too broad a theme and so people mayb not neccesarily read it for the "Romantic" element ad 3) Romantic books are a form of excapism in which everything turns out well in the end and some people like that.

    Ooof! I wrote a bit there! I'll stop I think!

    Hope things go well for you this week and get better soon! Get your blood pressure and iron levels checked!

    By Blogger Vidya, at 3:13 AM  

  • Hehe, Vidya said 'porn'!!

    Yes, Yoomi, make sure you get to a doctor, this headache business doesn't sound too good.

    Are 'Sweet Valley High/University' romance?? If so, I was hooked on acceptable porn at the age of about 13!!!

    By Blogger Anika From Darwin, at 4:00 PM  

  • Lol, I honestly would have never called any romance book porn. To me they're strictly two completely different genres and honestly have nothing much in common. As for romance as escapism, well, the thing I took out of romance books that I've read is you're guaranteed a happy ending and well, not many books give you that. There's usually tragedy and killing which is perhaps closer to reality but isn't reading about escaping? Some interestings points there Vidya!!!

    I still have to see the doctor. I'm delaying it but I'm unsure. I left work early today because of my spinning poor brain. Ummm, perhaps tomorrow morning. I'm being stupid, I know!!

    Yoomi

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:45 AM  

  • I'm just offended that you called Jane Austen Romance - thats a bit of a superficial interpretation. She was a satirist and ironist who delved into the domestic relationships of the georgian/regency era (hehe). The Bronte sisters looked at the darker sides of love but surely they weren't really romantic novels?
    As to the genre 'romance' I think that there is a niche market of obsessed readers (like Anika) who will read all the romance novels they can get! I've also gotta agree with Yumna that to me romance is very different from Porn and still different from erotica - maybe you need to peruse some porn "books" Vids to see the difference! hehe that'd be funny - a possible literature PhD project? 'The Stylistic and Conceptual Differences Between Porn, Erotica, and Romance Genres in the World of Literature'

    By Blogger Mellie, at 2:03 AM  

  • Did anyone else notice that Vidya said 'porn'!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    By Blogger Anika From Darwin, at 9:40 PM  

  • Anika: :P:P:P

    By Blogger Vidya, at 3:30 AM  

  • Yes we all noticed but we've put our horror aside in order to be able to reply :P If I have a romantic subplot in one of my books, that hardly makes it a romance novel and then again, if I have a sex scene in a book, that hardly makes it porn. Sometimes though I think the people who categorise books and shelve them in the bookshops hardly know what they're doing! They should have a degree in books :P Hey Mel, would you do that degree with me, perhaps we can set up a campaign :D

    Yoomi

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:45 AM  

  • Be sure to include a unit for the handling of all books, HAND145. Learn how to touch books, or not touch them. Learn how to use tweezers to turn pages, sterilizing the tweezer tips between each page turn. Learn how to view books when they are placed in glass boxes without getting the glare in your eyes. A very good unit indeed!!!

    By Blogger Anika From Darwin, at 3:42 PM  

  • Yumna... the question was posed why do people read romance books - not why they write them... I think most of the time, Mills and Boon and other books of the like are "trashy". (Notice how I am not using the word anymore??:P).

    By Blogger Vidya, at 4:47 PM  

  • She thought 'porn' though!!!!

    By Blogger Anika From Darwin, at 8:16 PM  

  • Anika: :O:O:O hehe! you are a Duck's nut! That's what I am going to call you from now! A-knee-ka Duck'snut :P

    By Blogger Vidya, at 9:43 PM  

  • Yeah! Vids may have just found the nickname for anika - I've been trying to think of something we could call her considering she might feel left out being the only one who's full name is being used all the bloody time...the best I came up with was W-Ankia but I wasn't sure how nice it would sound if you call her home phone and ask her mum if w-ankia's home.

    I love the idea of HAND145, perhaps an elective could be PSY169 - how to freak out first years with pointless psychological testing like measuring the big toe circumference or breathing heavily on the library study room glass doors as you take notes on a clip board. hehe it serves them right if they're going to commandere the rooms from 8am. *laughs to self as remembering own experience at taking a big study room for physics with a pile of physics books*

    By Blogger Mellie, at 10:23 PM  

  • By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:26 PM  

  • By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home